What You Need to Know About Body Contouring at Home
Body image is a topic that affects almost everyone to some degree. The way you feel about your body may affect not only your self-esteem, but also the way you behave, the goals you set for yourself, and the choices you make.
Body contouring procedures are designed to enhance those problem areas of the body that can impact your appearance and your self-confidence. Home contouring solutions are becoming more popular due to their lower cost and perceived convenience. While some home contouring methods may provide slight modifications, professional treatments are nearly always safer and more effective options.
Options for Body Contouring at Home
There are different body contouring machines and tools available for home use. The Enshey 8-in-1 Anti-Aging Beauty machine claims to dissolve fat and tighten loose skin using radiofrequency energy. An integrated cooling tube is supposed to make the device safer for home use. Another home contouring device is the SIXPAD Absfit 2, which uses electrical muscle stimulation technology to produce a tighter, toned abdomen.
These tools and others like them may be effective in the short-term with the correct application. If you want to see significant, long-lasting results, professional body contouring treatments are much better options. When board-certified experienced plastic surgeons and their staff perform contouring procedures, you can rest assured your treatments will be both safe and effective.
Is body contouring at home safe?
When used as directed, some devices can be safe for home application. However, the fact that the device will be operated by someone without experience or expertise can greatly increase the risk for user error. Even when these devices are used correctly, they will never be as effective as a professional treatment.
For example, home body contouring devices that use cryolipolysis – the same technology found in CoolSculpting® can lead to potentially dangerous side effects when not operated correctly. Professional CoolSculpting treatments use a sophisticated device with controlled cooling to protect the skin and body while destroying fat cells.
When a delicate procedure like this is performed with less advanced technology, the result may be skin or tissue damage. If the cryolipolysis potency is reduced to ensure the device is safe, it will likely be highly ineffective.
Another issue with home treatments is that while the price may look attractive compared to professional treatments, that number can be deceiving. Consider the fact that you might not get the results you want. You may end up turning to a board-certified plastic surgeon to fix or enhance the results of your initial efforts, spending even more money in the long run. The best value is often to work with an experienced professional from the start.
Professional Body Contouring Treatments
Body contouring treatments offer customizable options for nearly any part of the body, from the neck to the ankles. The main goal of body-shaping products is to slim and refine targeted contours that do not typically respond to diet and exercise efforts. Professional body contouring treatments vary from non-invasive procedures to surgeries. When choosing a professional body contouring treatment, consider:
- Your budget
- Number of treatments you will need to achieve goals
- Recovery time after the procedure
- Whether results will meet your aesthetic goals
Treatment Options at Gotham Plastic Surgery
Body contouring can make the body appear slimmer or to achieve a more toned body shape. They can also be used to create fullness or definition in specific areas like the breasts or buttocks. Gotham Plastic Surgery offers different types of contouring procedures, including:
- CoolSculpting: A non-surgical option that eliminates fat cells and fat deposits through controlled cooling. The body flushes out the treated fat cells over time, leaving behind a slimmer, toned shape. CoolSculpting is non-invasive and downtime after treatment is minimal. Patients may want to schedule more than one treatment session to achieve their full results.
- Liposuction: This surgical procedure removes isolated pockets of fat that are resistant to diet and exercise. To perform liposuction, we insert a tiny tube called a microcannula into the treatment area. The microcannula loosens the fat cells and gently suctions them out of the body. Liposuction does require a few days of downtime but a single treatment session is all that is needed to achieve full results.
- Tummy Tuck: This surgical procedure removes excess skin and fat from the abdomen while tightening weakened muscles. It is a good choice for patients who have lost a great deal of weight quickly and have loose skin folds as a result. It is also a preferred option for women who want to regain their pre-pregnancy body and is often a core component in the combination treatment known as a mommy makeover.
- Mommy Makeover: A combination of surgical contouring treatments like the breast lift and tummy tuck to restore a woman’s body after pregnancy and childbirth. The combination treatment is highly customizable so women can get just the correction they want in the areas they need it most. .
- Lifts: Neck lifts, facelifts, and body lifts are contouring treatments that address excess, loose skin at the same time they remove or reposition fat to create the smoothest, most natural results. Body lifts are another popular option for people who have lost weight quickly and want to remove the loose skin left behind once they reach their target weight.
Why You Should Choose Gotham Plastic Surgery for All Your Body Contouring Needs
Gotham Plastic Surgery offers a range of body contouring procedures to help bodies appear smoother, slimmer, and more appealing. Philip Miller, MD, FACS, is a double board-certified facial plastic surgeon with expertise in procedures like rhinoplasty and facelifts.
Gotham Plastic Surgery focuses on achieving a natural appearance using the NatraLook® process, which empowers patients to explore their aesthetic beauty and make educated choices.
Contact us today to learn more about your body contouring treatment options.
Plastic Surgery from Head to ToeServices >
Trust the Experts
The Plastic Surgery Podcast with Dr. Philip Miller
Tune into The Plastic Surgery Podcast, hosted by facial plastic surgeon Dr. Philip Miller. Dr. Miller is here to answer your questions, de-mystify plastic surgery, and help you feel more knowledgeable and empowered about any procedure performed at our center.
Episode 44: My First Time8 min
Episode 43: Top 10 Reasons Not To Get A Rhinoplasty ( Plastic Surgery)20 min
Episode 42 : Osteomas & Lipomas11 min
Episode 41: All Ears Considered!8 min
Episode 40: Infrared Light Therapy9 min
Episode 39: Beauty, the Plateau6 min
Episode 38: Botox and Dermal Fillers3 min
Episode 37: Cost of Rhinoplasty1 min
Episode 36: Different Types of Nasal Surgeries3 min
Episode 35: Do You Have to Break the Nose for Rhinoplasty?2 min
Episode 34: Do You Have to Stay Overnight After Having a Rhinoplasty?2 min
Episode 33: Don't Have a Rhinoplasty!2 min
Episode 32: Endonasal or External1 min
Episode 31: Are You a Candidate?2 min
Episode 31: Asian Nose Job3 min
Episode 30: In The Office17 min
Episode 29: Can My Nose be Made Smaller?4 min
Episode 28: Can't Breath Through Nose3 min
Episode 27: Chin Implants - Mentoplasty2 min
Episode 26: Columellar Struts23 sec
Episode 25: Common Terms5 min
Episode 24: Connection Between Facial Resurfacing and Tattooing5 min
Episode 23: The Sooner, The Better?4 min
Plastic Surgery w/ Dr. Miller
If you’re thinking about getting a lift, nip, or tuck, this app is for you. It’s the most comprehensive pocket encyclopedia of plastic surgery terms, before and after photos, and visualization tools to help you really know what to expect from a procedure, including seeing potential results on your own photo. This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.View in App Store >