Can You Slow Down the Aging Process?
Aging is an inevitable part of life. Skin is the most visible indicator of aging and can even show early signs of aging with wrinkles, fine lines, creases, and sagging skin. Lifestyle has a significant impact on aging and can even slow the process down. It’s important to make healthy choices and use proper skincare and protection to preserve natural beauty.
Gotham Plastic Surgery is a plastic surgery center led bydouble-board certified facial plastic surgeon Philip Miller, MD, FACS. He can help you slow down signs of aging to achieve stunning and natural-looking results.
When do you start aging?
Genetics and lifestyle both play a role in when we begin to age and how aging shows up in our hair, skin, and body. By your 20s, many individuals already begin to age due to unhealthy lifestyle habits, environmental damage, and constant UV exposure, which can cause skin cells to weaken, and slow down the natural cell renewal process.
In your 30s, skin is typically still firm and elastic due to collagen and elastin. However, the body’s production of these critical proteins begins to decline by this time, leading to a dull complexion and wrinkle formation. In your 40s, the skin begins to thin, and the fatty protective barrier is not as strong. More prominent signs of aging can appear in your 40s and continue due to reduced hydration retention, chronic stress, inflammation, and other health conditions.
Aging is not an overnight process. Our skin and bodies go through stages of decline that slowly lead to wrinkles, fine lines, creases, and sagging skin.
How does the skin age?
The most common culprits that speed up the aging process or produce early signs of aging for some individuals include:
- Environmental factors
- Lifestyle choices like diet and exercise
- Sun exposure
The skin is complex with many layers and functionalities and can age in many ways, including:
- The body’s production of collagen and elastin decline, diminishing the skin’s natural support system and leading to skin laxity and wrinkles.
- The number of cells containing pigment decrease in size and amount, leaving skin thinner and paler.
- The outer layer of skin thins even though cells are being produced.
- Blood vessels in the dermis are more fragile and can lead to increased bruising and bleeding under the skin.
- Glands produce less oil and can lead to itchy, dry skin that lacks hydration.
- Skin tags, warts, brown patches, and other blemishes are more likely to appear.
- The naturally-protective lipid barrier lessens.
Preventative Tips to Slow the Aging Process
Thankfully, our skin and bodies are resilient and respond well to positive lifestyle changes and interventions. It is never too late to make healthy choices and take proper care of your skin to help slow the aging process. You can slow the process by:
- Using daily sun protection
- Avoiding the tanning booth and using a self-tanning lotion
- Kicking the smoking habit
- Eating a balanced diet and exercising several times a week
- Sticking to a dermatologist-recommended skincare regime
- Applying moisturizer every day
- Getting at least 8 hours of sleep
- Reducing your sugar and alcohol intake
Treatments that Reverse Aging
Even when you meticulously follow the steps above, aging will eventually create wrinkles, lines, and sagging skin that is difficult to manage without professional treatments. There are many surgical and non-surgical procedures that can help reverse the signs of aging.
Collagen stimulating treatments
Collagen stimulating treatments boost your natural collagen production to help improve skin firmness, texture, and laxity. Gotham Plastic Surgery offers several treatments, including:
- Face-Tite™: This treatment uses radiofrequency-assisted liposuction technology to contour the face and neck. It can tighten skin for a smoother, more youthful appearance.
- Body-Tite™: This contouring and cellulite removal procedure removes signs of aging by increasing collagen production.
- Laser skin resurfacing: This cosmetic laser procedure removes the outermost layer of skin to treat wrinkles, scars, and hyperpigmentation.
- Ultherapy: This non-surgical procedure uses ultrasound energy to tighten and refresh the skin while boosting collagen levels deep in the dermal tissue.
Botox® is a popular Manhattan wrinkle reducer that is safe, quick, and highly effective. Botox is ideal for eliminating expression lines that often appear around the upper face without downtime or discomfort. Gotham Plastic Surgery also offers hyaluronic acid (HA) dermal fillers and injectable collagen stimulators to restore volume and reduce fine lines on the lower face, neck, lips, and hands.
Non-surgical solutions can help slow the aging process and produce excellent results. When patients are experiencing significant aging and want to turn back time with longer-lasting improvement, numerous surgical procedures can tackle multiple concerns, often with a single surgery. Dr. Miller offers:
- Facelift: This procedure targets the mid-to-lower face and neck. It tightens muscles, removes excess fat and skin, and reduces the appearance of deep creases.
- Neck Lift: The neck can be an instant age give-away, and this procedure improves the appearance of the jawline and neck by removing loose skin and fat deposits.
- Blepharoplasty: Also known as an eyelid lift, this procedure removes lax skin and isolated fat to create a smoother eyelid and refresh the eye area overall.
Why Gotham is Your Go-To Place for All Your Anti-Aging Needs
Aging can be a sensitive subject, and it takes subject experts to educate patients on specific concerns and treatment options. Gotham Plastic Surgery doesn’t focus on only eliminating signs of aging; Dr. Miller concentrates on creating a personalized treatment plan for natural-looking results. He uses the NatraLook® process to empower patients to explore their aesthetic beauty and find confidence in their unique appearance.
Contact us to schedule a consultation and learn more about the right anti-aging procedures for you.
Plastic Surgery from Head to Toe
At Gotham Plastic Surgery, we create custom treatment plans that combine minimally-invasive techniques and advanced technology to help patients achieve the best version of themselves. Our unique NatraFace™ approach addresses both restorative and transformative changes.
Gotham’s expert physicians perform advanced surgical and non-surgical procedures that smooth the skin around the eyes to give patients a refreshed look. Our custom NatraEye™ technique combines the use of chemical peels, lasers, eyelash enhancement, and injectables with precision procedures, including:
Our esteemed surgeons utilize the NatraNose™ technique to bring together innovative artistry and unparalleled skill to deliver results that look natural, improve nasal function, and help achieve each patient’s aesthetic goals.
Regardless of your aesthetic goals, Gotham has the skill and technique required for the breast procedure that suits you. Whether adding symmetry or restoring the breast following a mastectomy, Gotham provides patients with enhanced feminine contours and improved body proportions.
Patients from all over the world have undergone amazing body transformation at Gotham, enjoying slimmer bodies with satisfying contours. Our advanced physicians apply their skill and expert technique to precisely sculpt other areas of the body, including the cheeks, chin, buttocks, hips, love handles, knees, upper arms, thighs, and even the neck.
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
- Revision Tummy Tuck
- Liposuction (Lipoplasty or Lipectomy)
- Body Banking
Known for our flawless techniques and a range of skincare options, Gotham Plastic Surgery has all the tools necessary for complete, natural, and comprehensive rejuvenation. As part of a customized treatment plan, these procedures can be performed standalone or in combination with surgical procedures for even more impressive results.
- Dermal Fillers: Juvéderm®, Restylane
- Volume Restoration: Voluma®, BodyBanking®
- Neuromodulators: Botox®, Dysport®, Xeomin®
- Laser Procedures
- Scar Reduction
The male face ages differently than the female face, but men have similar goals of wanting to maintain their youthful appearance throughout their lives. A plastic surgeon must take the subtle differences between male and female skin, as well as what comprises the ideal look for their male patients.
No matter what your specific cosmetic concerns might be, Dr. Miller can help. At Gotham Plastic Surgery, we frequently perform the following for our male patients:
Trust the Experts
The Plastic Surgery Podcast with Dr. Philip Miller
Tune into The Plastic Surgery Podcast, hosted by facial plastic surgeon Dr. Philip Miller. Dr. Miller is here to answer your questions, de-mystify plastic surgery, and help you feel more knowledgeable and empowered about any procedure performed at our center.
Episode 44: My First Time8 min
Episode 43: Top 10 Reasons Not To Get A Rhinoplasty ( Plastic Surgery)20 min
Episode 42 : Osteomas & Lipomas11 min
Episode 41: All Ears Considered!8 min
Episode 40: Infrared Light Therapy9 min
Episode 39: Beauty, the Plateau6 min
Episode 38: Botox and Dermal Fillers3 min
Episode 37: Cost of Rhinoplasty1 min
Episode 36: Different Types of Nasal Surgeries3 min
Episode 35: Do You Have to Break the Nose for Rhinoplasty?2 min
Episode 34: Do You Have to Stay Overnight After Having a Rhinoplasty?2 min
Episode 33: Don't Have a Rhinoplasty!2 min
Episode 32: Endonasal or External1 min
Episode 31: Are You a Candidate?2 min
Episode 31: Asian Nose Job3 min
Episode 30: In The Office17 min
Episode 29: Can My Nose be Made Smaller?4 min
Episode 28: Can't Breath Through Nose3 min
Episode 27: Chin Implants - Mentoplasty2 min
Episode 26: Columellar Struts23 sec
Episode 25: Common Terms5 min
Episode 24: Connection Between Facial Resurfacing and Tattooing5 min
Episode 23: The Sooner, The Better?4 min
Plastic Surgery w/ Dr. Miller
If you're thinking about getting a lift, nip, or tuck, this app is for you. It's the most comprehensive pocket encyclopedia of plastic surgery terms, before and after photos, and visualization tools to help you really know what to expect from a procedure, including seeing potential results on your own photo. This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.View in App Store >